Posted 29 March 2018
The North British Distilling Company (NBDC) was formed in 1885 to provide an alternative source of grain whisky for the blending market – Distillers Company Limited (DCL) had maintained an iron-clad grasp on much of the grain market since 1877 (manipulating supply to affect both prices and demand) until the new North British distillery was constructed in Edinburgh near both the railway and Union canal. The site quickly expanded its production, and by WWII was producing 9,000,000 litres of spirit each year. The distillery is now somewhat ironically owned jointly by Diageo and Edrington – DCL became United Distillers in 1987 and then several years later Diageo. So, in effect, North British is now 50% owned by the company it set out to compete with back in the late 19th Century.