Posted 16 November 2017
The Ancnoc brand is not nearly as long-lived as the distillery is harks from. Knockdhu was built in 1894, close to Knock Station to take advantage of the Banff branch of the Great North Scotland Railway. It was also conveniently located close to sources of both barely and peat. But, in 1989, current owners – Inver House – decided that the name of the distillery was too similar to that of another Speyside producer, namely Knockando and thus Ancnoc (meaning Black Hill) was selected as the brand to represent the whisky produced at Knockdhu ,with the first bottling under the new name being released in 1993.