Posted 12 September 2017
Rothes is currently home to four distilleries – Glen Grant, Glen Spey, Speyburn and Glenrothes. Caperdonich was also located in the town, but was mothballed in 2002 and sadly demolished in 2010. Glenrothes was founded in 1878 and its amalgamation with Bunnahabhain on Islay brought ‘Highland Distillers’ into existence. Its production capacity increased in the 1960’s with the addition of an additional pair of stills (taking the total to six). In 2010, owners Berry Bros & Rudd sold their Cutty Sark blended whisky brand to Erdington in exchange for the ownership of Glenrothes. Early this year, Edrington bought the distillery back from Berry’s with new plans to increase the distilleries penetration in to the international markets for single malt.