Glendronach was founded in 1826 by James Allardes near Huntly in Aberdeenshire. The distillery was purchased by Teachers and Sons Ltd in 1960 who increased the number of stills from two to six. The distillery was closed from 1996 and mothballed until it reopened in 2001 owned by Allied Distillers Limited. In 2016 the distillery, along with BenRiach and Glenglassaugh was purchased by Brown-Forman Corporation. Glendronach currently produces a large proportion of ex-sherry matured whisky and has a house style which is often rich, big and bold.