Posted 29 August 2017
Kilbeggan distillery was founded by the McManus family in 1757 on the banks of the River Brosna in Kilbeggan, County Westmeath, Ireland. Indeed, it was originally called the Brosna Distillery after its water source. John Locke bought the distillery in 1843 (resulting in another name change to Locke’s Distillery), however, the site was one of many that suffered at the hands of the worldwide economic depression between the two World Wars. It struggled on until 1954 when it ceased production and fell into disrepair.